- Reasons for providing follow-up care to women post-treatment for epithelial ovarian cancer include identification of relapse and managing side effects of treatment. Possible options for follow-up and their implications and consequences should be discussed with the woman prior to establishing the format and schedule of follow-up appointments
- Clinicians should be aware that follow-up appointments are a cause for concern and anxiety for women, and that consideration should be given to strategies to lessen anxiety
- It is important that a clear and mutually agreed care plan be offered to women who have been treated for epithelial ovarian cancer
- The decision to initiate re-treatment requires careful consideration based on the individual woman s situation, and factors including the nature of the recurrence and the wishes of the woman.
- Women should be fully informed of the pros and cons of routine measurement of CA125 during follow-up and supported to make an informed decision, considering the findings of the randomised controlled trial on follow-up after ovarian cancer.
Follow up of women with epithelial ovarian cancer