Important unanswered questions about the use of endocrine therapy in hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer are outlined below; some of these may be addressed in ongoing trials:
- the use of third generation aromatase inhibitors and fulvestrant in pre-menopausal women
- which endocrine therapy is recommended for women who have progressed on adjuvant aromatase inhibitors
- the relative benefits and harms of different aromatase inhibitors
- the relative benefits and harms of fulvestrant
- quality-of-life issues associated with endocrine therapy
- long-term side effects associated with the use of endocrine therapy.