1. National Breast Cancer Centre. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of advanced breast cancer. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2001.
2. Pavlakis N, Schmidt R, Stockler M. Bisphosphonates for breast cancer. Cochrane database of systematic reviews (Online) 2005(3):CD003474.
3. National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre. Bisphosphonates for advanced breast cancer - a systematic review. Surry Hills: NBOCC, 2010.
4. National Breast Cancer Centre and National Cancer Control Initiative. Clinical practice guidelines for the psychosocial care of adults with cancer. Camperdown: National Breast Cancer Centre, 2003.
5. National Health and Medical Research Council. NHMRC additional levels of evidence and grades for recommendations for developers of guidelines. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2009.
7. Ripamonti CI, Maniezzo M, Campa T, et al. Decreased occurrence of osteonecrosis of the jaw after implementation of dental preventive measures in solid tumour patients with bone metastases treated with bisphosphonates. The experience of the National Cancer Institute of Milan. Ann Oncol 2009;20(1):137-45.
8. Khosla S, Burr D, Cauley J, et al. Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. J Bone Miner Res 2007;22(10):1479-91.
9. Rosen LS, Gordon DH, Dugan W, Jr., et al. Zoledronic acid is superior to pamidronate for the treatment of bone metastases in breast carcinoma patients with at least one osteolytic lesion. Cancer 2004;100(1):36-43.
10. Ross JR, Saunders Y, Edmonds PM, et al. Systematic review of role of bisphosphonates on skeletal morbidity in metastatic cancer. BMJ 2003;327(7413):469.
11. Ha TC, Li H. Meta-analysis of clodronate and breast cancer survival. Br J Cancer 2007;96(12):1796-801.
12. Body JJ, Diel IJ, Lichinitser MR, et al. Intravenous ibandronate reduces the incidence of skeletal complications in patients with breast cancer and bone metastases. Ann Oncol 2003;14(9):1399-405.
13. Body JJ, Diel IJ, Lichinitzer M, et al. Oral ibandronate reduces the risk of skeletal complications in breast cancer patients with metastatic bone disease: results from two randomised, placebo-controlled phase III studies. Br J Cancer 2004;90(6):1133-7.
14. Body JJ, Lichinitser M, Tjulandin S, et al. Oral ibandronate is as active as intravenous zoledronic acid for reducing bone turnover markers in women with breast cancer and bone metastases. Ann Oncol 2007;18(7):1165-71.
15. Stopeck AT, Lipton A, Body JJ, et al. Denosumab compared with zoledronic acid for the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced breast cancer: a randomized, double-blind study. J Clin Oncol 2010;28(35):5132-9.
16. Wong R, Wiffen PJ. Bisphosphonates for the relief of pain secondary to bone metastases. Cochrane database of systematic reviews (Online) 2002(2):CD002068.
17. van Holten-Verzantvoort AT, Bijvoet OL, Cleton FJ, et al. Reduced morbidity from skeletal metastases in breast cancer patients during long-term bisphosphonate (APD) treatment. Lancet 1987;2(8566):983-5.
18. Kohno N, Aogi K, Minami H, et al. Zoledronic acid significantly reduces skeletal complications compared with placebo in Japanese women with bone metastases from breast cancer: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2005;23(15):3314-21.
19. Diel IJ, Bergner R, Grotz KA. Adverse effects of bisphosphonates: current issues. J Support Oncol 2007;5(10):475-82.
20. Mauri D, Valachis A, Polyzos IP, et al. Osteonecrosis of the jaw and use of bisphosphonates in adjuvant breast cancer treatment: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009;116(3):433-9.
21. Ruggiero S, Gralow J, Marx RE, et al. Practical guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with cancer. J Oncol Pract 2006;2(1):7-14.
22. Edwards BJ, Hellstein JW, Jacobsen PL, et al. Updated recommendations for managing the care of patients receiving oral bisphosphonate therapy: an advisory statement from the American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc 2008;139(12):1674-7.
23. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials (PDQ) SWOG-S0308. http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/SWOG-S0308 Accessed: September 2010.
24. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials (PDQ) ZICE. http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/WCTU-ZICE Accessed: September 2010.
25. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials (PDQ) NCRI-BISMARK. http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/NCRI-BISMARK Accessed: September 2010.
26. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials (PDQ) CALGB-70604. http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/CALGB-70604 Accessed: September 2010.
28. Clinical trials.gov NCT00375427. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00375427 Accessed: September 2010.
29. Controlled-Trials ISRCTN86185157 http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN86185157/ Accessed: September 2010.