References included in systematic review to end May 2005
1. National Breast Cancer Centre*. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of early breast cancer (2nd Edition). Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2001.
2. Howell A, Cuzick J, Baum M et al. Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Lancet 2005;365(9453):60-2.
3. Thurlimann B. Letrozole as adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with receptor positive breast cancer: First results of IBCSG 18-98 / BIG 1-98. Paper presented at: Primary Therapy for Early Breast Cancer 9th International Conference, 2005; St Gallen, Switzerland.
4. Coombes RC, Hall E, Gibson L J et al. A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(11):1081-92.
5. Boccardo F. Switching to anastrozole (ANA) vs continued tamoxifen (TAM) treatment of early breast cancer (EBC). Updated results of the Italian tamoxifen anastrozole (ITA) trial. Paper presented at: 41st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), 2005; Orlando, United States.
6. Jakesz R, Kaufmann M, Gnant M et al. Benefits of switching postmenopausal women with hormone sensitiveearly breast cancer to anastrozole after 2 years adjuvant tamoxifen: combined results from 3,123 women enrolled in the ABCSG Trial 8 and the ARNO 95 Trial. Paper presented at: San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2004; San Antonio, TX, USA.
7. Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S et al. A randomized trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women after five years of tamoxifen therapy for early-stage breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2003;349(19):1793-802.
8. O Neill S, MacLennan A, Bass S et al. Guidelines for the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis for GPs. Aust Fam Phys 2004;33(11):910-917.
9. Baum M, Budzar AU, Cuzick J et al. Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: first results of the ATAC randomised trial. Lancet 2002;359(9324):2131-9.
10. Baum M, Buzdar A, Cuzick J et al. Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analyses. Cancer 2003;98(9):1802-10.
11. Fallowfield L, Cella D, Cuzick J et al. Quality of life of postmenopausal women in the Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination (ATAC) Adjuvant Breast Cancer Trial. J Clin Oncol 2004;22(21):4261-71.
12. Locker GY. Cost-utility analysis of anastrozole versus tamoxifen as primary adjuvant therapy inpostmenopausal women in early breast cancer from a US healthcare system perspective: the 5-yearcompleted treatment analysis of the ATAC ( Arimidex , Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial. Paper presented at: San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2004; San Antonio, TX, USA.
13. Karnon J, Johnston SRD, Delea TE et al. Cost-eff ectiveness of extended adjuvant letrozole after five years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2004;22(14S):6044.
14. Whelan T, Goss PE, Ingle JN et al. Assessment of quality of life (QOL) in MA.17, a randomized placebo-controlled trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women following fi ve years of tamoxifen.J Clin Oncol 2004;22(14S):517.
15. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials PDQ. TEAM.
Available athttp://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=69260&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=1501391 Accessed March 17, 2005.
16. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials PDQ. NSABP B-33.
Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=68640&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=1501459 Accessed March 17, 2005.
17. National Cancer Institute of Canada. MA.17R.
Available at: http://www.ctg.queensu.ca/public/Clinical_Trials/public_ph_3_trial_summary.html#MA17R Accessed August 8, 2005.
18. National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials PDQ. MA.27.
Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=316325&version=Healthprofessional&protocolsearchid=1501386 Accessed March 17, 2005.
Articles containing information considered by the Working Group but published after May 2005
(Note: the following references do not represent a systematic review but are selected articles of relevance to this guideline)
Wasan KM, Goss PE, Pritchard PH et al. The influence of letrozole on serum lipid concentrations inpostmenopausal women with primary breast cancer who have completed 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen (NCIC CTG MA.17L). Ann Oncol 2005; 16: 707-715.
Boccardo F, Rubagotti A, Puntoni M et al. Switching to anastrozole versus continued tamoxifen treatment of early breast cancer: preliminary results of the Italian Tamoxifen Anastrozole trial. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 5138-5147.
Jakesz R, Jonat W, Gnant M et al. on behalf of the ABCSG and the GABG. Switching of postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer to anastrozole after 2 years adjuvant tamoxifen: combined results of ABCSG trial 8 and ARNO 95 trial. Lancet 2005; 366: 455-462.
Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S et al. Randomized trial of letrozole following tamoxifen as extended adjuvant therapy in receptor-positive breast cancer: updated findings from NCIC CTG MA.17. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 1262-1271.
Markopoulos C, Polychronis A, Zobolas V et al. The effect of exemestane on the lipidemic profile of postmenopausal early breast cancer patients: preliminary results of the TEAM Greek sub-study. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 93: 61-66.
Whelan TJ, Goss PE, Ingle JN et al. Assessment of Quality of Life in MA.17: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of letrozole after 5 years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal women. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 6931-6940.
Other articles of interest published subsequent to development of this guideline
Mann BS, Johnson JR, Kelly R et al. Letrozole in the extended adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with history of early-stage breast cancer who have completed 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 5671-5677.
Dowsett M, Cuzick J, Wale C et al. Retrospective analysis of time to recurrence in the ATAC trial according to hormone receptor status: an hypothesis generating study. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 7512-7517.
National Prescribing Service Rational Assessment of Drugs and Research. Anastrozole (Arimidex) for thetreatment of hormone-dependent early breast cancer in postmenopausal women. December 2005.
* In February 2008, National Breast Cancer Centre (NBCC), incorporating the Ovarian Cancer Program, changed its name to National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre (NBOCC). In July 2011, NBOCC amalgamated with Cancer Australia to form a single national agency, Cancer Australia, to provide leadership in cancer control and improve outcomes for Australians affected by cancer.