Important unanswered questions about the follow-up of women following treatment for early breast cancer are outlined below. High quality evidence from randomised controlled trials is needed for all aspects of follow-up care. Some of these questions may be addressed in ongoing trials:
- optimal duration and frequency of follow-up
- the use of PET or MRI or ultrasound as part of routine follow-up
- the optimal model of follow-up care within a multidisciplinary team setting
- subgroups of women who may have specific follow-up care needs
- economic implications of different models of follow-up care
- shared care models of follow-up
- given newer treatments, impact on survival of early detection of asymptomatic metastatic disease.